Mechanical Services Supervisor
Website Phillips Exeter Academy
Provide effective leadership for the mechanical services team and assigning the day-to-day maintenance and operational needs for plumbing, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems.
- Supervise mechanical systems personnel by managing attendance, work assignments, schedules, appraisals, training, documenting deficiencies and perform quality assurance for installation, repairs, and preventative maintenance on all HVAC and plumbing equipment.
- Function as the subject matter expert for HVAC systems and controls and provide analysis, recommendations, troubleshooting and condition, operation, and expected life.
- Utilize computer applications and computerized maintenance management systems to schedule, assign tasks, develop, and implement maintenance programs.
- Perform installation, repairs, and preventive maintenance on HVAC and plumbing equipment.
- Operate and maintain all computerized, microprocessor, electronic, and pneumatic based controls, to ensure a safe and comfortable environment.
- Maintain an inventory of HVAC system and plumbing critical spare parts.
- Develop and implement solutions to building plumbing, heating/cooling/air quality issues.
- Assist in developing and implementing standards and specifications for the construction, operation, and maintenance of automated building systems.
- Review plans and specifications and provide input to the project team during the design phase of projects.
- Participate in the evaluation and selection of new and replacement hardware and software for automated building systems.
Degree of Independent Action Performed
Incumbent works under the guidance of the Mechanical Services Manager but is expected to work with a high level of independence and autonomy, and exercise a high degree of initiative, influence, and judgment in decisions impacting staff and department operations.
Expected to solve problems or address issues that require immediate attention.
HVAC and Plumbing Technicians
Internal & External Contacts
Frequent contact with FM managers and personnel, administrative and academic offices, students, faculty and staff. External contacts may include contractors, outside construction workers, prospective students, parents, alumni, outside organizations, visitors, and local community members/neighbors.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- EPA 608 Universal Technician Certification required.
- Associate degree, preferably in HVAC Technology or a related field.
- Formal specialized training in DDC (Direct Digital Control) controls required.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience as a technician in HVAC systems installation, operations and maintenance; including direct experience with a computer based controls.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with being a supervisor or foremen in the HVAC/Plumbing field required.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, building automation controls similar to those currently in use within the Academy.
- Working knowledge of mechanical operations and hands-on HVAC maintenance, including, electrical, electronic and pneumatic control equipment, steam and hydronic heating systems and air conditioning systems required.
- Experience in assigning work and leading/instructing other technicians/mechanics preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Ability to use computer based software including email, computerized maintenance management system, asset management system, and smart phone/mobile devices, as well as Building Automation Systems, and MS Office.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills and the ability to follow directions.
- Respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- Maintain a professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including stressful situations.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills as well as a strong customer focus.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies and Technology guidelines.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as needed.
- High degree of organizational skills with the ability to be flexible and multi-task with accuracy.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.