Supervisor Custodial Services
Website Dartmouth College
Be Exceptional Here!
Join a team and community where you are excited to come to work everyday!
Reporting to the Custodial Services Manager, the Custodial Supervisor exercises overall responsibility for planning, scheduling, implementing, and reporting on the daily and special duties of the custodial department. Responsible for the supervision of full-time employees, as well as numerous subcontractors hired for special projects or to perform services not provided by the College. The custodial department is responsible for the performance or management for providing a clean and safe campus using current and effective sustainable custodial methods and techniques with four supervisors for 4+ million GSF with 134 FTE. This position will provide training and leadership for a custodial staff of approximately 30 FTE who provide custodial, recycling and solid waste services for approximately 1 million+ GSF for a diverse college community.
The Supervisor maintains a current working knowledge of all trades under their purview, establishes safety, quality control and productivity standards applicable to each trade, ensures that these standards reflect best industry practices and are applied in the performance of work. In addition, he/she is responsible for assisting in the preparation of specific and annual budgets, overseeing the shop’s equipment and supply inventory, communicating effectively with FO&M management and the College community, as well as, building and maintaining staff morale and overall productivity. Maintain professional and effective communications and professional working relationship with College faculty, staff and students.
Required Qualifications – Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Associate’s degree in general management, facilities or industrial management or a technical field.
Minimum of five years of custodial or housekeeping experience.
- Minimum of three years of supervisory experience of 5+ employees.
- Custodial or housekeeping experience for an educational or medical institution, health care or health club facility or a residential complex > 100,000 g.s.f.
Must hold a valid driver’s license and be qualified under the terms of the Dartmouth College Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Policy
- Extensive knowledge of custodial or housekeeping services for a large, > than 100,000 sq. ft., educational or medical institution or health care or health club facility.
- Comprehensive knowledge and skill in hard floor care and cleaning, carpet and upholstery cleaning, solid waste and recycling services, athletic facilities, Sustainable and Green cleaning, custodial equipment and custodial methods and techniques, required.
Experience in estimating, scheduling and managing custodial or housekeeping services provided by individuals and small groups and experience supervising 10+ FTE. Working knowledge of applicable safety procedures (trade) related to custodial or housekeeping services.
- Certified Executive Housekeeper [CEH] or [REH] with IEHA preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively with direct reports, college personnel, students, faculty and sub-contractors required. Must be able to give and follow verbal and written assignments as necessary and to appropriately delegate tasks.
- Work must be performed in a highly collegial, professional and collaborative manner with FO&M shops and College departments.
Willingness to work different shifts as needed and overtime as required.
- Knowledge of solid waste and recycling practices preferred.
- Computer literacy and familiarity with standard business-related software required, i.e., Excel, Web browsing, and Word programs, electronic payroll and work order systems.
- Demonstrated commitment to recycling and sustainability practices.
- Strong commitment to a diverse working environment and serving the needs of a large and diverse community.
To apply for this job please visit www.dartmouth.edu.